To transfer the washing machine safely and without causing damage, some measures must be taken. So, with expert assistance, we help you prepare and transport your washing machine without a hitch. If you want to move the washing machine to second floor, read our article on second floor laundry room.
How to prepare a washing machine for the move?
A successful washing machine transfer requires organization and taking the necessary measures to be prepared on moving day.
Take the dimensions of the washing machine
At first, measure the washer's dimension to decide whether it will be fitted to its new location or not.
However, there are standard sizes for the two traditional types of machines:
- Top loaders are between 40 and 46 cm wide, which is not very wide and takes up less space.
- With a window in the front, the front loaders are measure 60 cm in width and 85 cm in height and are usually placed under worktops.
Unplug the washing machine
After that, disconnect the gadget to shut it down. In a hurry, you may omit this step before draining, jeopardizing both your and the machine's safety.
To avoid an electrical shock, we recommend placing your plug high up on the machine or a high stand.
Additionally, disconnect any adjacent electrical equipment that may come into touch with water and create a short circuit.
Emptying a washing machine: How to do it?
In principle, filter changes must be conducted on a regular basis. Additionally, it is a preventative maintenance approach that will extend the life of your equipment.
This essential episode will save you from having a faulty washing machine when you move into your new place.
The following steps will be done one day before moving:
- Remove the water hose to disconnect the water supply. Keep it near to the ground, on a mop or container, to avoid flooding.
- Removing the filters allows water to drain more quickly. In general, accessing the drain filter requires unscrewing a panel at the front and bottom.
- However, if this is your first time performing a filter replacement, we advise you to consult the user's handbook. Tilt the machine against a wall or with the help of a person who will maintain the position. It is a good way to collect the water that will flow from the stopper, by placing a basin or a cloth under the opening.
- Clean the filter and any impurities that may get deposited at the bottom.
- Ensure the filter is screwed on very firmly, and also make sure the housing panel is in place to avoid any leaks.
- We also advised that you clean your washing machine thoroughly to help eliminate germs.
After moving, when to reconnect the appliance?
Unlike the necessary waiting time before reconnecting a fridge, a washing machine can be reconnected immediately. That's very excellent news if you require direct access to the gadget.
However, we do not recommend using extension cords or multiple sockets to plug in your machine, as there is a risk of electrocution. As a result, you will need to link it directly to the earth's ground.
How to move a washing machine alone?
To move the most oversized household appliances, here are some helpful and necessary tips to avoid hurting yourself and prevent damage to the operation of the washing machine.
- Ask for help so two people can help you manage the gadget and one can run the show!
- Secure the pipes and the opening door with adhesive tape. Inserts and fastening clips are typically supplied with current equipment to connect cables and pipes. Modern machines include screws and flanges to obstruct the drum.
- Protect the appliance, walls, and common spaces with cardboard.
- Equip yourself with the appropriate transport equipment: Special household hand trolley, stair trolley with three wheels, or wheeled tray.
- You can avoid back pain with lifting straps to help you raise the machine and keep your back straight, especially if you have to move without a lift.
Kneel down and raise the gadget so that it tilts.
When transporting, we recommend keeping the washer as upright as possible.
Remember: If your machine does not have casters, lay a blanket beneath to help it glide.
Transportation in the moving truck
Finally, the time has come to transport the washer to the new home. In the truck, rear, and with large appliances and heavy furniture, it is critical to put the washing machine upright. After that, you'll need to use straps to keep it in place.
Surround it with a blanket or cover and bubble wrap to keep it from shaking throughout the travel.