Immediately after buying a washing machine, of course, there should be no problems with the device. Over time, however, many devices experience minor and sometimes major problems.
It is incredibly annoying when the washing machine fails. Issues with washing machines cannot always be resolved with expensive and cumbersome repairs. Instead, there are certainly cases that you can solve yourself in just a few simple steps.
Here are the 7 common washing machine problems and solutions.
Problem # 1: No water running into the machine after turning it on
- The washing machine door is not closed correctly.
- The water inlet is blocked, for example, by a clogged filter or a kinked inlet hose.
- The tap is not or not sufficiently open.
Solution: So your first steps should focus on the door, faucet, and hose. A professional repair must be considered only when there are no kinks or blockages; water can run in when the door closes completely.
Problem # 2: Water is leaking from the washing machine
If clean water or wastewater leaks out of the machine, you should first find the leak.
Possible causes of water leaking from the door:
- The door is damaged and therefore leaking.
- Foreign bodies are trapped between the glass and rubber, preventing it from closing entirely or allowing water to escape at specific points.
- The rubber seal is defective or has slipped.
Solution: Simply removing small foreign bodies such as pebbles or wood splinters may help. In all other cases, only replacing the relevant components will help.
Possible causes of water leaking from the lower part, behind or next to the washing machine :
- Too much detergent has been used, and the excessive foam will flood the machine
- The pump filter is open
- The hoses have become loose or are defective
- The inlet or outlet are not stuck
Solution: First of all, you should turn off the water to avoid further flooding. Then check the amount of detergent; there may also be a large amount of foam in the drum.
If the problem is not found here, all hoses must be checked. Once they have loosened, they are tightened. In the event of defects, an exchange is due. The pump filter should be closed.
Problem # 3: The washing machine stops draining
If the machine rattles and buzzes, but the water is no longer pumped out, this can have other causes besides a clogged fluff filter. Listed here as an example:
- A clogged sewer
- A clogged lint filter or pump
- Defective electronics
- Defective pump and broken V-belt
Solution: These problems are usually eliminated by cleaning and checking the hoses, the fluff filter, and the pump filter. It is better to have a professional fix larger problems.
Problem # 4: The washing machine no longer spins
Possible causes: If the washing machine no longer spins, there are several possible causes, for example:
- The machine jams because the wet and, therefore, heavy laundry is unfavorably distributed in it, or the weight is too great.
- The spinning can fail at the same time as the water drainage if the pump is defective.
- The washing machine is not upright.
- The shock absorbers are defective, or the engine brushes are exhausted.
Solution: It helps to try spinning again with a smaller amount of laundry or go like washing machine problem # 3.
Problem # 5: The drum has stopped spinning
Unfortunately, this problem can hardly be eliminated by yourself, as the motor or the drive belt is the defect.
Problem # 6: The machine won't start even though the lights are on
If the washing machine does not start, the washing machine's self-protection may have taken effect. If there is water in the floor pan, if the water pressure is incorrect or if there was a fluctuation in the current strength, such a case can occur.
Solution: A possible help lies in the short-term removal of the current, so the device's plug is pulled. If possible, the washing machine can also be tilted slightly. Any water in the floor pan will runoff.
Problem # 7: The laundry no longer gets clean
There are many possible reasons why laundry still appears dirty after washing or even come out of the drum dirtier than when loaded.
- The maximum capacity of the washing machine has been exceeded
- Too little or the wrong detergent was used
- Heavy soiling in the drum, on the rubber, or in the detergent drawer
- Too frequent use of the short wash programs
- Wrong washing program
Solution: It makes sense to clean the washing machine regularly, depending on the amount of laundry. This includes special washing machine detergents, boiling programs without laundry, emptying the fluff filter, cleaning the detergent drawer, and ventilating and drying the machine when not in use. The door and drawer should be opened wide so that the inside can dry off.
Washing machine problems? Here are a few general recommendations
If the washing machine does not wash at all or does not wash properly, repeatedly fails to work, or another error occurs, you should first refer to the operating instructions. Modern washing machine models help with various error codes and give at least an indication of the cause and possible remedies. In addition, you can often find help on washing machine problems on the manufacturers' websites, or you can call their service team.